Cardiac Surgeon Shot At Brigham And Women’s Hospital Dies

Business Week

Business Week


Sad news to report out of Boston. The cardiac surgeon who was shot yesterday at Brigham and Women’s hospital has died.

Per CBS Boston:

A cardiac surgeon who was shot at Brigham and Women’s Hospital Tuesday morning has died.

The doctor, identified as 44-year-old Michael Davidson, was shot twice in the Shapiro building, where the cardiovascular unit is located. He suffered life threatening injuries and was later pronounced dead.
Related: Hospital Visitor Says ‘It was Panic’

Dr. Davidson, of Wellesley, was the director of Endovascular Cardiac Surgery and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School.

The suspected shooter, identified as 55-year-old Stephen Pasceri of Millbury, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a second-floor examining room, next to the weapon believed to be used in the shooting, Boston police said.

“Dr. Davidson was a wonderful and inspiring cardiac surgeon who devoted his career to saving lives and improving the quality of life of every patient he cared for,” Brigham and Women’s Hospital said in a statement. “It is truly devastating that his own life was taken in this horrible manner.”
Police say Pasceri came into the hospital asking for Dr. Davidson.

“There was a particular reason why he targeted this doctor,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said. “Why and for what particular reason, we’re looking into.”
Sources say the motive may have been due to the care Pasceri’s mother received from the doctor.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh says he was saddened to hear of the doctor’s death. “This tragedy is the result of a senseless act of violence that has no place in our City,” Mayor Walsh said. “My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his colleagues at Brigham and Women’s Hospital during this difficult time.”

Police and doctors outside the Shapiro Center after the shooting. (Photo by Chris McKinnon-WBZ-TV)
Police said they received a report that a doctor had been shot in the area between the waiting room and examining rooms in the Shapiro Center at 11:07 a.m. Evans said people barricaded themselves in their offices while police searched the floor and secured the area.

“His colleagues got him as quickly as possible over to the emergency room,” Evans said.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s